Prof. Enrique Soriano Elected National President of Marketing Educators
June 20, 2012
CELEBRATING AME’S 24 YEARS OF SUCCESS: AGSB MARKETING CLUSTER CHAIR ELECTED AS NATIONAL PRESIDENT
The Association of Marketing Educators, Philippines or AME which is celebrating its 24th anniversary on June 20, 2012 , is the unifying body for Marketing Educators established by the Philippine Marketing Association (PMA). Its main objective is the effective development of professors teaching Marketing in various colleges and universities in the country.
The Association of Marketing Educators, Philippines (AME) has a proud and fascinating history which dates back in 1988, when the Philippine Marketing Association, Inc. (PMA) Director-in Charge for Academe, Ma. Victoria Ac-Ac (at present the Dean of Business Administration of the Lyceum of The Philippines University – Manila), thought of actualizing the theme: “Maximizing Marketing Opportunities in a Rebounding Economy” by formulating an organization of marketing educators that would propagate the training of well-prepared marketing graduates and strengthening the academic sector of marketing. A preparatory meeting was held on March 26, 1988 at the Metropolitan Club’s San Juan Room. The meeting was attended by the PMA Board and Officers: President Sandy Pagulayan and directors Betty Bravo, Nellie Cadelina, Max Joaquin, and Eli Segundo with twelve professors in attendance.
On April 9, 1988, AME marked its formal organization and first membership meeting at De La Salle University hosted by its Department Chairman Prof. Teodoro Jurado. The meeting was participated by the original faculty members of the preparatory meeting and marked its first election of AME officers. Those elected were: Prof. Roger Buhay (De La Salle University) as president; Dr. Rudy Carolino (Philippine Christian University) as VP-Internal; Dr. Pacita A. Abasolo (Adamson University) as VP-External; Prof. Fidela Quioco (University of the East) as secretary; Prof. Sylvia Concepcion (University of the Philippines) as treasurer; Prof. Delia Mabeza (Philippine Women’s University) as auditor; Prof. Esmeraldo Dimaculangan, Jr. (San Beda College) as PRO; and Directors Prof. Emmanuel Fernandez (Ateneo de Manila University), Prof. Ma. Delia Ayran (UE), Prof. Susan Alegoria (Columban College of Olongapo City), Prof. Filomena Legazpi and Prof. Lolita de Guzman (both of San Sebastian College).
From then on, AME has had the distinction of benefiting from the leadership of 21 presidents — contributing a lot in terms of upgrading, elevating and enhancing teaching skills of AME faculty members through training, seminar, conferences, fora, etc.
- “TanglawngKarunungan” award;
- Linkage with the Western Marketing Educators Association in the United States;
- “1st Marketing Case Writing” competition to encourage industry research and the 1st Teacher Practicum Program;
- 1st back-to-back conferences – The 1st Strategic Brand Management Conference in PICC with foreign speakers;
- Sent its first participants to the Western Marketing Educators Conference at Monterey, California in 1996;
- AME members with two 5-year P1.2 million program on free scholarship tie-up with PMA and Mansmith and Fielders, Inc. headed by Prof. Josiah Go, and Roberto and Associates headed by Dr. Eduardo Roberto;
- Memorandum of Agreement for cooperation with the Marketing Educators Association (MEA), USA; AME’s trust fund increased five-fold;
- AME launched its 1st newspaper column with several provincial chapters. Prof. Ed Martinez (New Era University) wrote and introduced the 1st ever chapter guidelines to improve regional management practices;
- AME became financially independent when its 7th National Students Marketing Conference of July 10, 2004, headed by Prof. Rodel del Mundo (DLSU –Dasmarinas) pulled in a certified all-time hit: record-breaking 4,300 paid attendees. Also, “Markethink” at Manila Times initiated a Strategic Planning Workshop for Serious-Minded Educators.
AME is run and served by a 15-seat Board of Directors, who are voted by its members. Each director holds a tenure of office of two years. Its executive functions are carried out by the Executive Committee who holds the position for a year. For Academic Year 2012-2013 the AME Board is composed of:
- Prof. Enrique M. Soriano III – National President (Ateneo Graduate School of Business)
- Prof. Daniel E. Hebron– VP, Internal Affairs (New Era University)
- Prof. Ernesto B. Arpon – VP, External Affairs (University of the East Caloocan)
- Prof. Ma. Victoria A. Abergos– Secretary General (Adamson University)
- Prof. Gerald L. Villar– Treasurer (Far Eastern University, Manila)
- Prof. Evangeline M. Dominguez – Auditor (Lyceum of the Philippines University – Manila)
- Dr. Ignatius N. Anagbogu– Public Relations Officer (Far Eastern University, Manila)
- Dr. Maria Victoria M. Ac-Ac – Lyceum of the Philippines University, Manila
- Prof. Nemesio T. Barboza– University of Makati
- Dr. Roberto M. Arguellas– Saint Louis University, Baguio City
- Prof. LalaineB. Divinagracia– San Beda College, Manila
- Prof. Menrado V. Cajayon – Adamson University
- Prof. Princess Mae C. Umadhay– RRLSICT Academy, Iloilo City
- Prof. Mima M. Villanueva – University of Iloilo, Phinma
Immediate Past President & Director:
- Prof. Adolfo D. Aran III – De La Salle University, Manila
- Ms. Annabelle C. Payawal – Administrative Officer
As the new captain of the ship and the 22nd elected AME president, Prof. Enrique Soriano pledged that his term will move towards the chosen theme for this year: “Shaping the Future of Marketing Education Amidst the Challenges of Technology and Globalization”. Changes and preparedness in business technology and global competitiveness will be the focus of his presidency.